Shipping to Malta? If it’s your first time to ship your cargo to another city or country, you must make sure that you are dealing with the right freight forwarder to avoid hassles and losses. You do not want to pay for penalty charges or your container to be detained, right? Check out these ways:
1. When looking for a container forwarding company, ask for the appropriate licenses and certifications. It should hold trade organization membership like the International Federation of Freight Forwarders Association (FIATA). The company or the individual that you will hire should also be knowledgeable of the rules and regulations surrounding international forwarding to prevent you from paying daily holding charges and your cargo from being held. Issues like these may taint the reputation of your business.
2. Talk to people or businesses that export their goods (particularly the ones that do shipping to Malta). They can give you ideas on the factors that you should consider when searching for freight forwarder. They can even provide you with references of reputable forwarding companies or individuals.
3. Soon as you have the list of potential freight forwarders, you may check with trade associations about the credibility of each forwarder on your list. Initially, you may find this task taxing, but you have to keep in mind that you need to do this for the safety of your goods and for the assurance that it will be delivered on time – or else, your business will suffer. You may also consider checking online reviews.
4. Call the freight forwarding company (or person) that is on top of your list. Ask questions relevant to the forwarding process and how they ensure the safety of your goods. Do not forget to ask about fees and charges. Base your decision (whether you will hire it) not only on the answers provided, but also on the manner the answers are given. You can easily sense if the person you are talking to is confident about their quality of services and is taking responsibility for your goods in case something happens. You must transact with someone who values accountability.
5. It is also important if the forwarder has good contacts – domestically and internationally. Someone who has connections can solve forwarding issues easily. You may also consider dealing with someone who will accept emergency shipping to Malta.